
Don't worry I looked bad in my glasses, but the above picture is not an actual self portrait. I'll save myself that embarrassment. At the age of 7 my parents decided that I had enough criticism and took my to a pediatric contact specialist. I started wearing contacts that day and it changed my life. Before contacts I had to make extra allowances for my activities. I had been taking dance since age three and I used to walk the stage with my teacher before the recital and count out my steps so I knew how far I could go, because I didn't want my picture taken with my glasses glaring in the stage lights. Then at 12 I played in the Championship hoop it up game virtually blind because I had torn my contact and I was not about to wear my glasses.
Throughout out the years my eyes have gotten minimally better but I still can't see anything without my contacts. I always get so nervous when I know I have to take an eye test for anything. Recently, however my DR., the same one since I have been 7, told me about a new custom lens that could be formulated to fit my extremely rare flat cornea and hopefully help me see better. I will never see 20/20, and Lasik will not help, but I have come to terms with that. Well I went to the Dr. yesterday and tried on my new "eyes." TA DA I can see better now. I am still adjusting to the new fit but I am looking forward to the possibilities these new lenses could bring.

I read every sign to Kyle on the way home, just because I could. At dinner I read him the signs around the restaurant, again just to show off:) I hope I don't pass this wonderful trait on to my children, but I do take peace in knowing that the medical world is really making advances in vision correction, so maybe if they do get their Mommy's eyes they won't have to suffer for long.










No comments:
Post a Comment